As a classical school featuring a curriculum based on the traditions of Western culture, Leman Academy of Excellence (LAE’s) House System is inspired by the ideals of republican participation, shared leadership, and civil service.
Specifically, the LAE House System exists for three purposes:
- to allow scholars a system in which they can belong, collaborate, and serve.
- to allow families an organizing structure to build community, celebrate learning, and give back to their local school.
- to support school events and other school needs with the creativity, energy, and
leadership of our family-volunteers in each grade-level.
Similar to how our curriculum is organized by historical time period following a 4-year cycle, scholars in each grade-level will belong to a House (called by the Latin “Domus”) in partnership with the other grade-level that is studying the same period in history each year, as follows:
Domus Fortitudinis (House of Fortitude)
- Scholars who will complete 8th grade in 2023, and 2027
- (e.g., for the 2020-2021 school year, this includes our 2nd and 6th graders.
Adopting our campus for beautification: September & February
- Symbol: Lion
- Color: Red
- Motto: Virtus Decus Sapiencia (Courage, Honor, Wisdom)
Domus Gratitudinis (House of Gratitude)
- Scholars who will complete 8th grade in 2024 and 2028
- (e.g., for the 2020-2021 school year, this includes our 1st and 5th graders.
- Adopting our campus for beautification: October & March
- Symbol: Wolf
- Color: Gold
- Motto: In Gratia Cantantes Incipere (Begin with Gratitude)
Domus Veritatis (House of Truth)
- Scholars who will complete 8th grade in 2021 and 2025
- (e.g., for the 2020-2021 school year, this includes our 4th and 8th graders, plus our kindergarteners.
- Adopting our campus for beautification: November & April
- Symbol: Torch
- Color: White
- Motto: Veritas Lux Mea (The Truth Enlightens Me)
Domus Justitiae (House of Justice)
- Scholars who will complete 8th grade in 2022 and 2026
- (e.g., for the 2020-2021 school year, this includes our 3rd and 7th graders.
- Adopting our campus for beautification: January & May
- Symbol: Scales
- Color: Royal Blue
- Motto: Valeat Justitiae (Justice Must Prevail)
Once Houses are formed, those scholars will remain in the same House as they progress from one grade to the other until their time at LAE is completed. Families with multiple children enrolled at LAE will be able to support multiple Houses, along with each of their children. Older scholars will be in the position to model, encourage, and mentor younger scholars in their same House. As younger scholars progress through our program, they will become the mentors.
Each House is charged with the following:
- Elect your House Captain (a parent-volunteer) each year that will meet quarterly with the Principal to:
- Report on status and progress of House initiatives outlined below
- Review a calendar of proposed House events
- Request approval and guidelines from school, as needed
- Seek to understand the school’s current needs and opportunities to offer support
- Participate in regular PTO meetings and work with the PTO to support school-wide events and fundraisers.
- Unite as a House and compete against the other Houses in donation drives (like books) and fundraisers sponsored by the PTO for the LAE Teachers’ Fund
- Campus Beautification: each House will adopt the school campus for 1 month each semester, to help pull weeds, pick up trash where needed, donate minor landscaping projects, etc.
- Whole school: July, before we begin each new school year
- Domus Fortitudinis: September, February
- Domus Gratitudinis: October, March
- Domus Veritatis: November, April
- Domus Justitiae: January, May